How do I set up Subgroups?
The 3 Group Levels
- Top-Level Group
- Mid-Level Group
- Bottom-Level Group
When first created, each new group will appear at the top of your group list as a standalone Mid-Level Group. Any member added to a Mid-Level Group is automatically added to the Top-Level Group, and any member added to a Bottom-Level Group is automatically added to both the Mid-Level Group and the Top-Level Group.
To create a new subgroup:
1. Click the ‘Manage groups’ button at the very bottom of the lefthand sidebar.
2. A gray ‘Manage your groups’ column will appear to the right. You can then click 'new group' to create your future subgroups.
To make an existing group a subgroup of another group or make it a top-level group:
- Click the ellipsis icon to the right-hand side of the group name.
- Select the group you wish to make it a subgroup of or select 'Make this a top-level group'.
- Click on that Group in the column on the left (*note: you are not in 'Manage Groups' mode when deleting a group).
- Click on the Group Settings icon (it looks like a cog wheel) in the top-right hand corner of the page. A Group Settings pop-up window will appear and the trashcan icon in the bottom left corner deletes the group.
What happens when I delete subgroups?
If you delete a Top-Level Group, the Mid-Level Groups and any Bottom-Level Groups simply move to the top of your list of groups on the sidebar.
If you delete a Mid-Level Group or Bottom-Level Group, you are asked if you wish to:
- 'Keep members subscribed to parent groups' - all members in the subgroup will remain in the parent groups; or
- 'Just delete the group' - any member who was originally only a part of that specific subgroup will be removed from the parent groups within that subgroup hierarchy
If a Mid-Level Group that is deleted had Bottom-Level Groups assigned to it, those Bottom-Level Groups are bumped up to Mid-Level Groups.
Additional Subgroup Information
- You can have unlimited Mid-Level Groups under a single Top-Level Group and you can have unlimited Bottom-Level Groups under a single Mid-Level Group.
- If you move a subgroup out from under a group, any members that were originally only a part of that specific subgroup within that subgroup hierarchy will be removed from the parent groups.
- If you make a Top-Level Group or a Mid-Level Group Closed or Hidden, then all subgroups of that group that do not already have a stricter privacy setting will also become Closed or Hidden.
- To rearrange existing subgroups, click, hold, and drag the handles icon (looks like up and down arrows) to the far right-hand side of the group name. This will allow you to reorder groups within the same subgroup hierarchy or to reorder subgroup hierarchies with each other.